Our Lady of Aberdeen is listed in an inventory carried out by Sir William Ray when chaplain of Garthdee chapel. That is the title used by many in the Roman Catholic faith for Mary the mother of Jesus.
There is no solid legally binding proof that it is the same statute known as “Our Lady of Aberdeen”. (This statue is currently in a side chapel of the Church of Notre Dame de Finisterre in Brussels.) However, it should be noted that the Brussels Church lists it as Notre Dame du Bon Succes. (This translates as Our Lady of Good Success).
The inventory referred to above is the only mention of the statue with no clear description given. So we can not be positive it is the same one.
However, there is a lot of contemporary evidence. They show historical links between it being in the Garthdee chapel and it being moved to Brussels for safekeeping.
Smuggling the Statue Out Of Scotland.
We know that on the 12th November 1593 a law was passed to say that Roman Catholics must give up their faith or move out of the country. Prior to this, the statue had been moved around the Aberdeen area however it was then decided to move it to Europe for its safety.
The Gordon family had been looking after a lot of property belonging to St Machar’s Cathedral. He got an agreement that it should be given to Isabella Clara Eugenia for safekeeping. (She was the daughter of King Phillip of Spain).
William Laing agreed to arrange for it to be taken to her. A Spanish ship collected it from Aberdeen Harbour and sailed to Dunkirk, It was then taken overland to a large Augustinian monastery in Brussels. It later moved to the nearby church of Notre Dame de Finisterre.
However it was attracting a lot of visitors so in 1852 it was moved to a new side chapel at the far end of the church. It is still there today.
You can read more about the original Garthdee chapel here. It was built right beside the Garthdee Bridge of Dee. Or to be a bit more up to date discover what Garthdee church of Scotland in Aberdeen is doing