The official name is Bridge of Dee. But many people still refer to it as Garthdee bridge.
Building Garth Bridge
Aberdeen has two medieval bridges: the Brig o Balgownie spans the Don. However, our own more stately Garthdee Bridge of Dee has provided safe passageway over the Dee for travellers since it was completed in 1527.
There are records of an earlier bridge in the 14th century which fell into disrepair but it was not until Bishop William Elphinstone (1431 – 1514) became involved that the plans really developed. Elphinstone, a statesman and bishop of the first rank, had been a key force in the creation of Kings College. He also led on the creation of Old Aberdeen into a Burgh of Barony. Elphinstone laid out the initial plans and collected materials for the new Garthdee bridge of Dee possibly as early as 1513. However, he did not live to see the work begin. Although he did leave a sum of money in his will to build the bridge.
Note These two people were also responsible for building the western towers for St Machar’s Cathedral and its impressive heraldric ceiling.