This is often a heartbreaking occasion, yet funeral plans need to be made within a relatively short time.
The Church of Scotland seeks to serve all the people of Scotland, not just those who are church members. If you have recently gone through a bereavement you should not hesitate to contact our local church minister. You can do this directly or request your chosen funeral director to do so on your behalf.
See our contact page for information on how to make contact with us directly.
Our role as a church is two-fold. Firstly to support the people left behind when a person passes away. Secondly to assist in making the funeral service as personal as possible. Consequently, each funeral service is designed to accompany folk through this difficult time.
These services are an opportunity to celebrate the life and work of those whom we have loved enabling us to then grow and move on.
Making The Funeral More Personal
There are so many choices that we can assist with that can make the service personal to you.
- Where the funeral service happens in our church or elsewhere.
- The structure of the day thinking about where the service begins. Whether the funeral service will move to a different location and where it will finish. For example, it could start in the church and finish at the graveside or crematorium.
- The flowers and other personal photos or memorabilia.
- The choice of favourite hymns. The use of recorded music such as CDs.
- Appropriate readings. The minister will be able to suggest some if you can’t think of any.
- A tribute or eulogy. Who will read them? Should it be the family and or friends or read by the minister on your behalf.
- Finishing prayers and time for reflection.
- Any service or words to be used afterwards perhaps at the graveside.
The church minister will be able to guide you through these choices while at the same time offering hope and comfort. Just spend some time thinking about some of these points before the minister visits to discuss the arrangements with you. Be ready to share those thoughts and talk about the person you will be remembering.
We can work together to create a service that is personal to you and make it a very special day.